WSET Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits
The Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits course is a respected qualification in wine and spirits. It is required by many employers in the trade for the more senior positions. The general interest wine enthusiast can be assured that they have a very high level of knowledge once they complete this course.
The Level 3 course goes into significant detail about tasting, grape growing, winemaking, maturation, and then tours the world region by region. We strongly recommend taking the Level 2 course prior to Level 3 , although Level 2 is NOT a pre-requisite.
During the wine course you will learn about:
- Spain & Portugal
- Eastern Europe
- The Americas
- Australia, New Zealand
- South Africa & South America
- Champagne and other sparkling wines
- Sherry, Port and other fortified wines
- Advanced wine tasting technique
- Alsace and Bordeaux
- Burgundy and the Loire
- The Rhone, and the south of France
There are 2 options:
- Option 1: 15 week course - 1 evening per week from 6:00-8:30 pm (2.5 hrs for presentation & tasting followed by an extra 30 minutes for questions & exam preparation).
- Option 2: 6 day course - all day from 9:30 am-5:00 pm. The 6 day course is perfect for those who cannot commit to 15 evenings. The study materials are mailed to you in advance of the course. The 6 day intensive course is suited to students who already have a good knowledge and are prepared for a short but intensive study period. The exam results are very similar for both the 6 day and the 15 week course.
In this course we typically have a similar number of wine enthusiasts to people in the trade. There’s always some sommeliers, wine buyers, retail staff, and wine writers. It is more important than ever to take your Level 3 course from a professional school that has expert instructors who are engaging. It is also important to go to a school that offers excellent wines for tasting. We offer tastings of more wines and better quality wines than anyone else. It’s the difference between going to Harvard and a college in the middle of nowhere. You will taste over 140 wines in the 15 week course.
The exam includes a blind tasting of 2 wines, a 50 question multiple choice paper and paper requiring 5 short answers. The pass mark is 55% in all 3 papers. We have an average pass rate of 85%.
View sample wine log
Detailed Course Description and Exam Information: 15 week course | 6 day course
Fine Vintage is the leading provider of wine education in Canada, the USA and Italy. Fine Vintage Ltd offers a series of WSET courses for the beginner and the expert in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, Kelowna, Penticton, Montreal, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Napa Valley, San Diego and Tuscany, Italy.
If you want to learn more about our Wine Schools, please contact us today.